Washing your face, it’s a thing that should come naturally to most of us – but does it really? Skin care is not what it used to be. Today, we are drowning in a sea of products, from replenishing oils to serums, moisturizers, acne-fighters, self-tanning lotions, cleansers, etc. But the truth is, it’s not only about the products we use that makes our skin radiant, but also about whether we wash our face the right way. This post is dedicated to the best way to wash your face, and we’ll also touch on the products you can use. Read on.
The right way to cleanse
One of the best tricks to use when washing your face goes like this: apply some cleanser on your fingers and run them through your face, beginning at one corner of your mouth and working your way to the other, then moving up your nose until you reach the forehead. Next, you need to glide your fingers around your eyes and slowly move down the cheeks. Finally, you should reach the chin. Then repeat the step, starting all over again from your mouth and going all the way through your face until you get to your chin again. Keep doing this for a couple of minutes. Using this method will help you get rid of oil and dirt that build up on your face throughout the day.
When you are done rubbing your face with the product, simply rinse it off using lukewarm water. The reason you want to skip the hot water is that it will dry out your skin. The next step is to pat your face with a towel. Note the use of the word “pat”. The secret to not damaging your skin is to treat it gently. So, avoid rubbing your face; instead pat it gently.
You are not recommended to use a towel if you are prone to acne. In that case, you should stick with stacked tissues. That way, you won’t spread bacteria across your face.
What to do after cleansing
So, you have cleansed, but your job is not done yet. When your face is all clean, it is time to apply some skin care treatments. Use whatever you normally use, i.e. a skin moisturizer, eye cream, serum, toner, etc. Make sure to apply on damp skin. This means that you have to do so immediately after you have pat dried your face. Before the skin has dried completely, pores will be open and the product you are using will be able to better penetrate the skin.
Speaking of skin care treatments, we would like to mention SULA’s facial products. They are designed to give your skin the nutrients it needs, from vitamin E to iron and calcium. In addition, they are organic and organic equals healthy. Nature has all the stuff your body needs and at SULA NYC we put some of that stuff in our cosmetic products. What a better way to purify your skin than using organic treatments that correspond to your needs?
Should you double-cleanse?
Now, many people are a little skeptical of washing their faces twice. Is there any point in doing so? It turns out that a multitude of dermatologists recommend this practice. According to them, you can clean your face thoroughly by repeating the cleanse procedure. A quick note, though. You don’t want to just do the same routine all over again. We are talking about two different washes. For the first one you are going to use some kind of oil – argan oil or olive oil will suffice – or an oil-based cleanser of your choosing. Simply massage the product into the skin and let it do its thing (don’t worry if you have some makeup on, the oil will take care of it). Rinse well. The second wash requires using a cleanser you normally use to remove bacteria and oil from your face. Apply it with circular motions or use the method we described above.
Now is the best time to talk about one of SULA’s products that can help you with the first cleanse. This is the Argan Oil Moisturizer, which is 100% pure organic. It not only will help you loosen makeup and dirt that has accumulated on your face, but also make your skin more radiant. It will soften and nourish every single inch of your face instantly, adding to glowing skin; not to mention it will act as a moisturizer. You can be sure that this oil will bring lots of benefits.
Another product to add to your skin care treatment kit is SULA’s mineral clay mask. It is a natural exfoliator and detoxifier that is suitable for most skin types. It is fortified with magnesium, calcium, silica, potassium and iron. It will gently get rid of dirt, oil and residue, unclogging the pores and helping you get that radiant look.
- When it comes to rinsing soap or cleanser off of your face, don’t just rub it with your hands (all it will do is to just smear the mixture around instead of removing it). You want to splash water on the skin as many times as necessary. This should suffice.
- It is important to pay special attention to your T-zone. As you know, it is more prone to getting oily, hence you need to take your time while washing this area of your face.
- Always use circular motions when massaging your face and always start at the centre, then move outward. Remember, no excessive rubbing.
- Facial wipes are a big no-no. In most cases, they contain preservatives and surfactants, which can be harsh on your skin and the main culprit for irritation and dryness. You should limit the use of facial wipes to the moments when you are away from home and there is no other way to wash your face.
- If you are going to the gym, make sure to remove all makeup and dirt from your face before you start working out. Else, you risk clogging your pores with oil and makeup when wiping down your sweaty face.
- Don’t panic if you forget to clean your face before going to bed. In the morning, just cleanse like you normally would (don’t scrub vigorously!) and follow up with a detoxifying mask. Don’t forget to send the pillowcase to the laundry hamper.